Subject: Re: xsrc make
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/07/1999 02:36:12
> I've just built the pmax X sets, and DESTDIR was honored as far as
> installation only.  Includes and libraries came from the normal places.

> A while ago, Luke Mewburn hacked up BSD-style makefiles for XFree86 that
> worked like a charm.  Whether or not that's maintainable over the long
> term is another question :-)

> Simon.

Hmm... Did you have DESTDIR set on the command line, in the environment,
or in /etc/mk.conf?  If I remember correctly, I believe that, if either
of the former, it should work without my changes, but since the xsrc
Makefiles don't pull in mk.conf, you'd either have to include that (and
any other cruft it may contain), or pass in DESTDIR explicitly from a
parent make...

Upon looking at it again, I do see that I could get rid of the changes
to the xsrc Makefiles, since my src/etc/Makefile now calls them with
DESTDIR explicitly set... those Makefiles have gone through a number of
revisions, and I've learned a lot more about make syntax than I knew
when I started tweaking on them :)

I'd love to see BSD-style makefiles for X, I absolutely _hate_ dealing
with imake... and being able to cross-build X would be quite a kick,
too...

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL