Subject: Re: Bad domestic test in src/Makefile?
To: None <cjs@cynic.net, scottr@og.org>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/31/1999 23:18:38
In article <Pine.NEB.4.05.9903301920100.273-100000@7thsun.piermont.com> you write:
>On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Scott Reynolds wrote:

>> There's more complicated things going on here than these two (internal)
>> variables.  Don't mess with this unless you understand it.

>This is really not helpful. Could you please either update the
>instructions to show how one does a build, or update the build so
>that one can follow the instructions and get export and domestic
>sets?

I put together a set of patches to the build process to allow it to
do a complete build of both true* 'exportable' sets and the domestic sets
with as little extra compilation as possible.  The process also allowed,
as options, building X sets and making source tarballs in addition to the
binary tarballs, thus easing releasing a complete, buildable snapshot.

I filed the original version of these changes as pr misc/7089, and updated
them on 3/19.  I'll probably do another update either tonight or tomorrow,
as soon as my cvs import/update cycle finishes and I can run a complete
build (which, with _everything_, including X and sources, only takes
around four hours on my PII/333) successfully.

Scott Reynolds said he'd take a look at my changes when he had a chance,
but that was about two and a half weeks ago.  I was hoping that something
along these lines could be committed before the 1.4 branch.  Though, since
no code changes are included, only build process modifications, these
could probably be pulled up after the branch splits.  Scott, any news?

(I've also got a number of patches for the package system, including
one which fixes the bug in the X sources which made xpkgwedge not work
correctly.  I'll be send-pr'ing these tonight.  I'd be willing to take
care of this type of stuff if I had commit access...)

>cjs
>--
>Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
>The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL