Subject: Re: more mipsel/mipseb/mips lossage
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/03/1999 03:19:57
In message <199903030939.SAA13502@mirage.ceres.dti.ne.jp>,

Izumi Tsutsui writes:

>(Cc'ed to port-mips)
>
>jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU wrote:
>
>> "/cuisinart/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas.new/Makefile", line 25: Could not fin
>d /cuisinart/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas.new/arch/mipsel/Makefile.inc
>> Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>
>This has been already fixed on Feb 24, I think.

Oops, yes, my mistake. I'm keeping my src/gnu out-of-date whilst
hacking on problems with binutils-2.9.1 gas on my r4000.

>lib/libarch/Makefile{,.inc} (harmless)
>lib/libcompat/Makefile
>libexec/ld.elf_so/Makefile
>sys/arch/Makefile
>usr.bin/Makefile
>sys/lib/libkern/Makefile, sys/Makefile (already pointed out)

Thanks, I'll look at those.

PS: Todd, "clean" is in the eye of the beholder here, and I'm with
Erik on adding a MACHINE_ARCH_DIR or MACHINE_FAMILY (or whatever).
Did you see the Sony Playstation announcement? mips{,64,128}{el,eb} ...

The inline hacks really arent going to scale.  If we define
MACHINE_ARCH_DIR then we only need to update it in one place, rather
thank dinking each mips-family .if or directory in every Makefile all
through the tree.

Same goes for tests for 64-bit ports. We really need to add a new
variable in bsd.own.mk that encodes the ``word size''.  Then, if we
want to add a mips{el,eb}64 or a ppc64 -- or even an n32 mips with
explicit mips3 insn support for 64-bit `long long's-- we can do it in
just one place, rather than finding and updating every test for
(${MACHINE_ARCH} == "alpha" || ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "sparc64").

comments?