Subject: Re: Adding a.out to bfd for mips.
To: None <>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/23/1999 09:09:20
In message <>,
Simon Burge writes:

>On the pmax, we still have some stuff that is a.out (kernels, some
>bootblock intermediate stages), but binutils only knows of ELF and
>ECOFF.  I tried adding "aout_big_vec aout_little_vec" to the SELECT_VECS
>for mips, but the compile blew up (I've forgotten the exact failure).
>Is there anything else that needs to be done to make mips bfd a.out

Hi simon,

The right answer is to eliminate all uses of a.out.
AFAIK there are  only three vestiges:
	a) pmax scsi bootblocks.  Fix: bootlodaer that reads
	   ECOFF or ELF (or both).
	b) old gprof which groks the  netbsd (network byteorder)
	   a.out we before 1.1.  Fix: port mips-specific
	   code from Berkeley gprof.
	c) intermediate form for building bootblock code.
	   Fix: rework mkboot.c to read in ELF (or ECOFF).

Sound like a plan? It'd be nice to get a) done for 1.4, so we can ship
a single ECOFF kernel that works for both netboot and scsiboot.