Subject: Re: __extension__ not actually present in gcc2.7.2.2?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/23/1999 16:26:13
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> Klaus Klein just committed a change to if_arp.h to use __extension__
> in if_arp.h; when attempting to compile a kernel on a shark with
>, this blew up.  (Yeah, I know, I should be using egcs,
> but i figured I might as well report this before I attempt to upgrade...)

_You_ can switch to egcs, but I ran into the same problem yesterday after
setting up a new 1.3.3 machine, and getting it a -current kernel failed
because of that. Not nice.

I worked around this by adding a -D__extension__= to the kernel Makefile,
but I don't think this is really an option. Maybe better check for the GCC
version with some macros, and only include that __extension__ thing if the
compiler actually understands it.

 - Hubert

Hubert Feyrer <>