Subject: Re: etc/Makefile: snapshots in release(7) format
To: Curt Sampson , Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/07/1999 23:15:33
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
>> ...and the Makefile merrily blew away the kernel I'd just configured and
>> build....
>> Is a documented, future-proof way to avoid that?  All I found was
>> setting BUILD. I dunno about anyone else, but that seems to invite
>> confusion wiht `make build'.
>
> That was my mistake; it should be UPDATE that's set to avoid a
> `make clean', just as it is in the top-level Makefile. I've just
> fixed this.
>
> BUILD is the correct thing here; it has the same behaviour as it does
> in the top-level makefile:

I think I'm confused.  There is no `BUILD' variable in the top-level
Makefile.  There is a `_BUILD', but that's specifically meant for internal
use by the `build' target.  So, what's up with the variable in
src/etc/Makefile?  Why isn't it documented at the top of the file, since
it's apparently meant to be used by end users?

--scott