Subject: Re: etc/Makefile: snapshots in release(7) format
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/07/1999 16:01:04
On Sat, 06 Feb 1999 14:20:52 -0800  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >I'm still building a -current snapshot on a slowish machine, so it'll
> >be a day or two before I can test anything.  However, there's an
> >immediate problem that comes to mind on the pmax - the kernel in
> >arch/conf/pmax/compile/GENERIC/netbsd is currently useless (we need
> >either the netbsd.aout or netbsd.ecoff kernels, but there are moves to
> >fix that), and _shouldn't_ go in kern.tgz.  On the pmax, that tar file
> >is an empty one.  Maybe something like NO_GENERIC in pmax/Makefile.inc
> >for now?
>
> Er, nope.

Hmm, my mind is still in 1.3.3 mode :)

> The latest pmax install tools use an SSTO-type kernel in the
> install tools, not a GENERIC kernel, So we need to provide the `right'
> format (aout + eccoff, or generic, depending on new-bootblock
> progress) in kern.tgz. Along with a stripped-down INSTALL kernel
> but with symbols, for NFS-booting on buggy PROMs.
> (Thanks to Todd for pointing that out).

For a diskless boot, do we still want an a.out kernel in / for symbols?
If so then kern.tgz only needs to contain the GENERIC netbsd.aout (named
netbsd).  Or have I missed something obvious?

If someone is diskless booting all the time, they'd probably compile
their own cut down kernel if they are having size problems, and it would
be their responsibility to to update both the tftp and nfs root kernels.

Still in "drifting mind mode".  Does the SSTO kernel still have all the
kernels (netbsd, netbsd.ecoff, nfsnetbsd.ecoff) in it?  If so, then we
can put all of those in kern.tgz and reduce the size of the SSTO kernel.
I haven't looked at this for a while, and I can't quite remember the
sequence to build a ramdisk kernel.

Simon.