Subject: Re: etc/Makefile: snapshots in release(7) format
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/06/1999 22:53:50
On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> ...and the Makefile merrily blew away the kernel I'd just configured and
> build....
> Is a documented, future-proof way to avoid that?  All I found was
> setting BUILD. I dunno about anyone else, but that seems to invite
> confusion wiht `make build'.

That was my mistake; it should be UPDATE that's set to avoid a
`make clean', just as it is in the top-level Makefile. I've just
fixed this.

BUILD is the correct thing here; it has the same behaviour as it does
in the top-level makefile:

> And shoudldn't the snap_md target should be inside the
> RELEASE_DIR check?

I shouldn't think so, since it has full functionality whether or
not RELEASEDIR is set. :-)

> Last, suppose we want `make snapshot' to build install media images
> from somewhere in distrib/. Where should the targets for that be added?

I haven't really worked that out. Probably in snap_md: in the
etc.$MACHINE/Makefile.inc.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.