Subject: (mips): egcs on -current miscompiles strtod.c
To: None <,>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/04/1999 19:29:23
hi all,

There seems to be a bug in an EGCS-compiled strtod.c.
This breaks Perl ("10" gets printed as ":", etc) an a few other
things. (someone mentioned top recently on port-pmax).

>From the notes I have when we first integrated egcs, it looks like an
egcs compiled with gcc- DTRT with strtod.c. So I'm
guessing either an egcs-compiled egcs mangles strtod, or its something
that came in a more recent change to strtod.c, or alternatively, with
the newer release of egcs.

Perl on -current on a pmax fouls up horribly, not suprisingly.  But
extracting the old from the 1.3.3 release and replacing the strtod results in Perl passing all its test.

Pmaxes are slow, so a binary-search to figure out what's wrong will
be, too.  Has anybody else seen this? If so, did you manage ot make it
go away by recompiling EGCS and rebuilding libc?