Subject: Re: binutils 2.9.1 TESTERS NEEDED / pmax (mips)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/04/1999 23:46:19
On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 09:23:33PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> I have imported binutils/bfd 2.9.1 into src/gnu/dist, and have tested it
> thoroughly on i386 and alpha, and partly on arm32.  I need some testers to
> verify operation on all other platforms.

I have rebuilt and installed gnu/lib/bfd, egcs, the rest of gnu/usr.bin,
and then gas.new, ld.new, and gdb without having to change any files.

Apparently it works, and currently the machine is rebuilding a kernel.

I noticed that when linking gdb and Todds small c++ programs (which return
0), every link gives a lot of warnings like

/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `_init' changed from 1 to 2 in /usr/lib/crtbegin.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `_fini' changed from 1 to 2 in /usr/lib/crtbegin.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `main' changed from 1 to 2 in /tmp/ccSmJ9O5.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `_gp_disp' changed from 1 to 3 in /usr/lib/libc.so
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `__syscall' changed from 1 to 2 in /usr/lib/libc.so
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `atexit' changed from 1 to 2 in /usr/lib/libc.so
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `exit' changed from 1 to 2 in /usr/lib/libc.so

but the programs still seem to be runnable. After the kernel rebuild (and a boot
if successful), I'll probably rebuild all libraries, but this machine is significantly
slower than my ppc machine, so please be patient :-)

regards
Erik Bertelsen