Subject: Re: proposal: libcc1 -> static
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/05/1999 18:56:02
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: > There is nothing in libcc1 that as or ld will use.  The only page sharing
: > would be between cc1 cc1plus f771 and cc1obj, which are never used by the
: > simultaneously for a single compilation.   Hence this has nothing to do
: > with making -pipe work more efficiently.
:
: it will make -j$N jobs (parallel compiling) share more, potentially.

Um, only if you're mixing languages - and the only ones in our tree are C,
ObjC (very minimal), and C++ (groff).  We don't really have enough source
in-tree to say that a shared libcc1 helps with -j much if at all.