Subject: Re: proposal: libcc1 -> static
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/01/1999 18:38:19
On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> 20 minutes of a make build on a 68030 at 40 MHz? Thats nearly noise!

Noise?  I am somewhat disturbed by how often this argument is used.
In this case, it amounts to somewhat over 1% of the total build time.
It doesn't take long before we're up against a 5% or 10% slowdown if
we use this argument to justify a few 1-3% performance hits.

I figure it this way: the cost in disk space is more than easily made
up for by the decrease in compile time.  The benefit is consistent and
measurable, and therefore I support Todd's move to convert back to a
static libcc1.

--scott