Subject: Re: proposal: libcc1 -> static
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/29/1998 16:43:11
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Matt Thomas wrote:

: >If there are sincere objections to doing this, please let me know.  I don't
: >intend on doing this Now, but it would be sometime before 1.4 cut.
:
: My concern is disk space, now that the VAX port has shared libs, the compiler
: uses a lot less disk space.  I don't think that there will be that much of a
: savings for the VAX.

Try running a "make build" with a dynamic libcc1, and then one with a
compiler using a static libcc1.  I bet you'd find a *big* time savings on
the latter, particularly on vax -- and I'm running some benchmarks to see.

The disk space issue is one thing, but it needs to be weighed against a
more important issue to most -- compile speed.