Subject: Re: FYI: egcs on mips stable...
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/28/1998 23:17:35
> Todd has some trivial changes to gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common/Makefile, and
> some fixups to gnu/dist/gcc/config/mips/netbsd.h. Plus Castor Fu's
> patch. I can PR if anyone wants them before they're in the tree.

One thing which I noticed is that the netbsd.h files end up removing
the notification of '-G' as an option which takes an argument.  That's
why "-G0" works but "-G" "0" does not.  This seems to violate the principle
of least surprise.

I wasn't sure which is the more appropriate place to add this, though.
I wouldn't be surprised, for example, if the alpha platform might also
use this flag.

It's kind of a trivial diff. . .

	cvs diff -r NETBSD_DIST netbsd.h
	Index: netbsd.h
	RCS file: /geo/cvsroot/nb/usr/src/gnu/dist/gcc/config/netbsd.h,v
	retrieving revision 1.1.1.2
	retrieving revision 1.2
	diff -r1.1.1.2 -r1.2
	77a78,79
	> /* -R FILENAME -- FILENAME provides symbols and addresses for relocation */
	> /* -G NUM     -- objects up to size NUM placed in 'small' segment */
	81c83
	---
	>    || (CHAR) == 'R' || (CHAR) == 'G')

I haven't looked into the libstdc++ failure.  It worked fine in cross
compilation under 1.0.2, but also fails under cross compilation in 1.1b.

	-castor