Subject: egcs and move-if-change on machine-generated code?
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/28/1998 14:20:26
I've been doing a ``make build UPDATE=1" with egcs on a mips, after
frobbing some libraries.  I noticed that src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
is (correctly) rebuilding the local code-generator binaries which
compile the templates in backend md file into to .h and .c files.

But that means the .h and .c files get updated even though nothing has
really changed; which in turn causes the whole of libcc1.so to get
recompiled.  Its all correct, but the extra hour or so on a 50Mhz mips
r4k is frustrating.

Is there any way we can do the timestamp file and move-if-change logic
which native gcc/egcs setups always do?  It'd would eliminate those
needless compiles...