Subject: toolchain lossage on mips (various)
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/27/1998 22:51:32
I'm trying to build a pmax snapshot and looking 'round at the GNU
binutils additions.  I'm not sure how to fix what I've run into.

First, the TARGET set in binutils/Makefile.inc ends up being set to
"mips--netbsd", (I'm bootstrapping from before the mips->mips[el]
changeover!)  which doesn't match the standard GNU bfd backend emul
names. Using "mips-dec-netbsd" works, and IIANM, that was the canonical
name used in the Cygnus distributions ; but what should it be set to?

Second, I've consed up a config for gas. It needs the itbl stuff,
so I added
   itbl-ops.c itb-parse.c itlb-lex.c

to the obvious TARG_CPU_C, and turned on YHEADERS to get itbl-parse.h
built. Is that the right way to do it?

Last, the binutils (sensu GNU, incl. gas and ld) aren't functional on
mips* until we upgrade to 2.9.1. (2.8.x ld coredumped when linking
several of the programs in our tree, there were extensive changes to
the mips-elf BFD code, and I'm not sure I can separate the fixes for
this from the other changes in 2.9.1).

Should I PR these, or commit the changes, or what?