Subject: Re: c++
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/18/1998 19:56:26
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Patrick Welche wrote:

: > `Ick.'  That's a `rather odd' way of doing it, and would definitely require
: > extra compiler stages to make use of it.

: 	The "export" keyword indicates to the compiler that the
: 	template definition might be needed to generate function
: 	template instantiations used in other files. The compiler must
: 	then ensure that the template definition is available when
: 	these instantiations are generated.

Oh, so it's like an explicit implementation of egcs's -frepo.  (Note that
-frepo doesn't yet work on the in-tree egcs, but I plan on getting it
working.)

: I suppose that last sentence implies a lot of work. Meanwhile, here's
: a surprising code snippet:
:
: #include <iostream>
: #include <string>
:
: int main()
: {
:   int _B=10;
:
:   cout<<_B<<endl;
:
:   return 0;
: }
:
: Try g++ -E on it, and view the output. With #include <string>, the _B
: is changed to 0x80.

This comes from our <ctype.h>... which is polluting the namespace with more
than just _B.  This should be Fixed.