Subject: Re: c++ templates
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/18/1998 15:16:53
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Patrick Welche wrote:

: > "export" doesn't work on egcs-1.1.  With that said (and as I'm not sure
: > exactly how "export" works, coming from a reader of Stroustrup 3ed which
: > doesn't define "export"--that's one of the last additions to the draft
: > before it was standardized):
:
: I was reading "C++ Primer 3rd ed" by Lippman and Lajoie, who suggest
: that using "export" means that you do not need to specialize the class
: explicitly in the implementation file (when merely declaring the
: template in the header file).

`Ick.'  That's a `rather odd' way of doing it, and would definitely require
extra compiler stages to make use of it.

I'd rather just declare stuff `inline' in a header file and instantiate what
I need.  ;)