Subject: Re: c++ templates
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/18/1998 19:04:30
Thank you for your in-depth reply!

Todd Vierling wrote:

> "export" doesn't work on egcs-1.1.  With that said (and as I'm not sure
> exactly how "export" works, coming from a reader of Stroustrup 3ed which
> doesn't define "export"--that's one of the last additions to the draft
> before it was standardized):

I was reading "C++ Primer 3rd ed" by Lippman and Lajoie, who suggest
that using "export" means that you do not need to specialize the class
explicitly in the implementation file (when merely declaring the
template in the header file). In the end, I used your option 1 -
everything in the header file, nonspecialized. Your implementation
backing file sounds like a good plan for later.

Cheers,

Patrick