Subject: 25-Aug Toolchain Update
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Todd Vierling <email@example.com>
Date: 08/25/1998 11:10:20
Well, it's been a week and the egcs changes have been going well.
As before, please do not submit PR's on egcs just yet, as it's known not to
work in several places. But a post to firstname.lastname@example.org would be
This status report reflects the state as it sits in NetBSD-current as of
this message, so it may be until the next supscan for all sources to be
available via sup.
===== PLATFORM INDEPENDENT KNOWN PROBLEMS =====
- egcs issues warnings about "ambiguous braces" on nested if statements.
These should be fixed in the NetBSD sources. KNF needs to be updated
to reflect this change.
===== MAIN GCC ARCHITECTURE COMPONENTS =====
- Haifa scheduler: Available, working and set by default on alpha, powerpc,
and sparc. You can build egcs with the newer Haifa instruction scheduler
by setting USE_EGCS_HAIFA in /etc/mk.conf. Only the three given platforms
have received Cygnus's blessing for Haifa; other platforms are either
experimental or completely broken.
- alpha: Working.
- arm32: Working except for some problems compiling
libc/arch/arm32/softfloat.c properly. I have some patches that will go in
as soon as I have a working arm32 /usr again. :)
- i386: Working, reported by <email@example.com> and verified by me. Did
see some bootstrap warn strangeness around cexp.c; it went away on the
second stage compile.
- m68k: Partly working, reported by <firstname.lastname@example.org> and <email@example.com>.
Has a bad codegen problem on libc's vfprintf.c which causes it to
break; I am putting together a testcase to demonstrate the problem easily
- mips[el]: In testing.
- mipseb: Not yet set up. Some diffs need to go in for this, which I have.
- ns32k: Working, reported by <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- powerpc: Working, reported by <email@example.com>.
- sparc: Working, but REQUIRES a fix for a null pointer bug in the old gas
assembler in order to compile -fPIC code. The src/gnu/usr.bin/gas tree
in -current has the fix, or a 1.3.x and higher binary is available from
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/as.GOTfix - install into "/usr/bin/as".
- vax: Set up but not yet tested. I need volunteer(s).
===== GCC SUBSIDIARY LIBRARIES =====
- libgcc: Working (now in src/gnu/lib/libgcc).
- libf2c (libg2c): Partly working (now in src/gnu/lib/libg2c). Needs some
rigorous testing and LP64 fixing.
- libobjc: Working (now in src/gnu/lib/libobjc).
- libstdc++: Imported, but Makefiles not yet set up.
===== OTHER TASKS =====
- Add kristerw's gas/bfd additions: not yet done.
- Import binutils 2.9.1: not yet done.
- Import gdb 4.17: not yet done.
- Update recursive-directory scripts: not yet done.
- Make tree useable for a host other than NetBSD: not yet done.
-- Todd Vierling (Personal firstname.lastname@example.org; Bus. email@example.com)