Subject: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 2
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/19/1998 18:25:23
> : Note, the patch to softfloat.h is to show you what needs to be done.  It
> : should really be dressed up in #ifdefs to check the compiler version is at
> : least 2.8 (so that 2.7 won't emit warnings on the unrecognized attribute).
>
> Actually, I have one better - we assert the presence of format(__kprintf__),
> a native-gcc hack, by defining __KPRINTF_ATTRIBUTE__ in the cpp spec.
> Something like that would be useful here.

I'm not convinced this is the correct approach.  It is not so bad for
kprintf, because if the attribute is not available, all that happens is
that you loose potential warnings.  But for return_in_regs, the way your
code gets compiled will change.  Personally, I think it would be a bad
idea to deliberately go in a direction where the only compiler that can
ever compile the kernel & other netbsd sources is the one maintained by
members of this list (For a start, it would make starting new ports more
difficult).

Secondly, I don't like littering CPP with gazillions of pre-defined
pre-processor options describing the compiler's capability.  It would be
much cleaner if this could just be worked out where needed from the
standard definitions (compiler major and minor release numbers).