Subject: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 5
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/19/1998 10:30:29
[I didn't get to do much last night, thanks to having to deal with Win'95
bogosity--and tonight, Win'98 bogosity.  ;]

As before, please do not submit PR's on egcs just yet, as it's known not to
work in several places.  But a post to would be

This status report reflects the state as it sits in NetBSD-current as of
this message, so it may be until the next supscan for all sources to be
available via sup.

These problems are known, and "working" below does not infer that they are

- egcs will sometimes issue "uninitialized" warnings when it shouldn't.
  Gross.  Looking into it; you can put "CFLAGS+=-Wno-uninitialized" in
  /etc/mk.conf to work around it for now until egcs is fixed.  This
  seems to be a problem with not properly analyzing/using
  attribute(__noreturn__).  (

- egcs issues warnings about "ambiguous braces" on nested if statements.
  You can use "CFLAGS+=-Wno-parentheses" in /etc/mk.conf to override
  this behavior until all the offending code is fixed.  (The KNF style guide
  is being updated to make good with this warning.)

- Haifa scheduler: Available, but untested on any platform.  You can build
  egcs with the newer Haifa instruction scheduler by setting USE_EGCS_HAIFA
  in /etc/mk.conf.  This is the default on alpha, powerpc, and sparc (these
  platforms have been rigorously tested with Haifa by Cygnus).

- alpha: Working.

- arm32: Problem with -msoft-float not turned on by default, which I'm
  investigating.  Otherwise working.

- i386: Working, reported by <>.

- m68k: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- mips[el]: In testing.

- mipseb: Not yet set up.  Some diffs need to go in for this.

- ns32k: This is unfortunately a big problem.  Our gcc 2.7.2 was very hacked
  from the mainline gcc sources, and I don't know what changes needed to go
  where.  Right now, ns32k.{c,h,md} are a big mess.

- powerpc: Working, reported by <>.

- sparc: Working, but REQUIRES a fix for a null pointer bug in the old gas
  assembler in order to compile -fPIC code.  The src/gnu/usr.bin/gas tree
  in -current has the fix, or a 1.3.x and higher binary is available from - install into "/usr/bin/as".

- vax: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- libgcc: Working (now in src/gnu/lib/libgcc).

- libf2c (libg2c): Partly working (now in src/gnu/lib/libg2c).  Needs some
  rigorous testing and LP64 fixing.

- libobjc: Working (now in src/gnu/lib/libobjc).

- libstdc++: Not yet set up.

===== OTHER TASKS =====

- Make tree useable for a host other than NetBSD: not yet done.

- Import binutils 2.9.1: not yet done.

- Import gdb 4.17: not yet done.

- Update recursive-directory scripts: not yet done.

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.