Subject: The brace thing
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/18/1998 15:33:54
Since we're flaming about it, I'll toss in my $2.00:

Fully-braced if's are often a waste of screen real estate, and a waste
of brain cycles to parse.  They add no value -- except in cases where
somebody did something stupid, which KNF should be attempting to cater
to.

Adding braces in the case that egcs complains about seems reasonable,
however.  I suggest that the `least change' would be to simply define
`if' statements to never be a `single statement'; i.e. any nested `if'
warrants braces.  Examples:

	if (foo) {
		if (bar())
			feh;
	}

or:

	if (foo) {
		if (bar())
			feh;
		else
			gah;
	}

(I think this is the style that many people use already, actually.)