Subject: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 2
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/18/1998 11:13:03
tv@pobox.com said:
> - arm32: Problem with -msoft-float not turned on by default, which I'm
>   investigating.  Otherwise works for C, not heavily tested for C++.
>   Will keep updated.

ARM32 issues only:

I haven't built egcs from a netbsd sup, but I have been using snapshots of
the Cygnus egcs development.

The -msoft-float default should now be fixed in the Cygnus egcs-1.1 branch.

The compiler cannot compile libc's softfloat.c in the way that it was
written (it exploited a bug in gcc 2.7 to return a structure that was
larger than 32 bits in a register) -- I'm working on a fix for this, but
haven't completed it yet.

I haven't decided yet whether the following is a bug in the linker, the
compiler, somewhere in my installation or if I'm missing an arm-specific
patch:  the linker I built from -current cannot generate correct shared
libraries if they contain references to static data.  Eg:

static int foo;

int bar (int x)
{
  foo = x;
}

Which incorrectly calculates the address of foo.  I've established that
the code generated by the compiler for the above is semantically the same
as that generated by the old compiler, but I haven't got further than that
yet.

No success yet building C++ programs, but that's probably because of the
shared lib problem.

Richard.