Subject: Re: base-relative relocations
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/06/1998 11:30:50
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> 2) Change BFD/gas to grok the symbol-relative addends.  I stared at
>    the code for quite a while, and I couldn't figure it out.  Maybe
>    someone else can.
>
>    This is going to be necessary to use the new BFD/gas on other a.out
>    ports, so it has to be done eventually anyway.  In addition, since
>    other changes necessitate breaking compatibility on the arm32 port,
>    it doesn't hurt there.
>
> Could someone who groks BFD figure out how to make it DTRT here?

I think I know how to fix it... My port of binutils 2.8.1 does at least
give me identical libraries as with our old gas, but to be really honest,
I'm not completely sure that I know what I'm doing in some parts of the
reloc adjustment code...

I had planned to make my binutils patches aviable last week, but I
got regressions after my source cleanup. I'll try to fix it this
weekend.

   /Krister