Subject: Re: -fPIC: any problems to be expected?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/28/1998 15:57:56
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: Doesn't the one imply the other? (gcc, ld, as, etc. are linked dynamically)

Yes, but my point was that a bum libc would hose the whole system. The only
worry is to make cleandir in lib and gnu/lib (and usr.sbin/amd and
gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common if necessary) to purge all old -fpic objs so they
won't try to link with -fPIC objs.

: Actually, to make sure we dont break people, we should bum the minor number
: maybe?

"No change" beyond binary format - why bother?  :>  Even if something's
linked against a -fPIC object, it can go back to -fpic interchangeably.