Subject: Re: -fPIC: any problems to be expected?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/28/1998 15:18:38
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: Now, I think I remember some message that claims that mixing -fpic and -fPIC
: doesn't work on some architectures (was it sparc?), but I can't find it.

That's correct.  sparc cannot mix -fPIC and -fpic /in the same shared
object/, but it should be perfectly able to handle using a -fPIC-compiled
library with a binary linked against a -fpic library.  It's the relocations
used inside the library itself that matter.  Otherwise, losing your
toolchain wouldn't be the problem - compatibility with old binaries (and
losing your whole libc) would.

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.