Subject: Re: a.out ld.so problems
To: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/28/1998 15:09:30
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Krister Walfridsson wrote:

: The reason I want this to work is to be able to do relocations against
: local symbols. Our current ld does this by "inventing" new external
: symbols, and link against them. I thought it would be much nicer to
: convert the relocation to segment base + offset...

Your ld needs to generate code compatible with an old ld.so.  If that means
duplicating brokenness, it's unfortunately a requirement.  The point of
getting a.out capability into binutils is to be able to produce binaries for
existing systems using GNU binutils.

: One other reason is that gas-2.x outputs this kind of relocs.

Is that fixable?  The assembler needs to cope, and produce code compatible
with an old ld.so too.

I'm pretty sure we're not the only binutils target that duplicates something
"broken" in the target's own native assembler and linker.  :)