Subject: Re: a.out ld.so problems
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/28/1998 21:02:03
> Are you sure ld.so is actually relocating things? Perhaps you are simply
> seeing whatever happened to be left in the data section after the library
> was built.

It is relocated (it is done somewhere around line 900 in rtld.c)

[...]
> Do you have evidence that initialized pointers work in some other case?

Yes. The same code snippet works just fine with our current ld, or with
my new ld when I'm disabeling the stupid code that transform relocations
against external symbols into relocations against the beginning of the
data segment.

The reason I want this to work is to be able to do relocations against
local symbols. Our current ld does this by "inventing" new external
symbols, and link against them. I thought it would be much nicer to
convert the relocation to segment base + offset...

One other reason is that gas-2.x outputs this kind of relocs. It's
easy to fix, but my goal has been to make as small changes as possible,
especially since that part of gas is rather hairy as it is.

   /Krister