Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH vs. OBJ_ARCH
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/26/1998 14:11:44
>So, if a program is ONLY_FOR_ARCHES mipseb (because say we're running
>an SGI binary, hey, it could happen), then my solution works and yours
>doesn't.

If you install an SGI binary on a 32-bit mipsel and it doesn't work,
then I think you deserve what you get :).

If it's a mipseb binary on a mips3, then we can make it work.  [ca
very large SMOP to handle all the untyped interfaces like ioctls.

> > If those get broken I'm very tempted to back it out until they get
> > fixed, so makefile or C-source clients can just test for "mips" or
> > ``#ifdef __mips__'' again.  It's just not as simple as Jason makes out.

>Then you're being thick.  Read what I said about the toolchain.  Then think
>hard.

Please read what I said about Makefiles and walking arch/mips subdirs
and arch-specific set files. I'm not being thick.  If it breaks those,
i'll back it out till its fixed.