Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH on mips
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/25/1998 12:16:36
On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Worse, what happens when we go to 64-bit mips and have four arches to
> support, instead of two?  ``it doesn't make sense to me''.

I don't know.  What does happen whe you go to 64-bit mips?

AFIK the current model of MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH doesn't work very well
where one architecture is a superset of another atchitecture.  A mips64
machine should be able to run mips32 binaries, but not the other way
around.  So what happens?  Does MACHINE_ARCH become `mips' and `mips64'
and the two are wholely incompatible?  Does a mips64 machine use a mips32
userland?

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me