Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH on mips
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/25/1998 13:02:00
In message <199807251852.DAA25308@srapc342.sra.co.jp> Noriyuki Soda writes:
: I like this one. IMHO, `uname -m` compatibility is not so important.
: Consistent naming scheme is more important than it for me.
: "mips" implies both "mipsel" and "mipseb", so if "mips" == "mipsle",
: it confuses users.

o SGI has traditionally returned mips for big endian.
o Linux/SGI uses mips for the big endian ports and mipsel little
  endian ports.  It uses these values for the rpm packages.
o OpenBSD/arc seems to use arc, I think (my openbsd machine is off to
  keep the room cool).
o RISC/OS returns mips and mipsel, if I recall some mail in the linux
  list correctly.  However, don't quote me on that...

I don't know if this makes a difference to people, but I thought I'd
mention it.

I do think that there needs to be two different values, unless the
kernels in question don't care.  And I know that isn't the case for
NetBSD 1.3.x....

Warner