Subject: Re: cross compile: the chicken-egg problem
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/17/1998 10:50:29
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: # No.  You _must_ have a NetBSD system in order to build NetBSD bootable
: # images.  That's why we ship bootstrap floppies... <g>
:
: Ahh..  thats a pity..  I was hoping to be able to do kernel development at
: work, and boot my work machines (which have a large variety of unsupported
: parts) with test kernels.  I guess that answers my chicken-egg problem.. You
: *need* a chicken.  Whats the requirement?  the vnode filesystem?

- the virtual disk (vnode)
- the ability to disklabel the virtual disk with a NetBSD disklabel
  (it will be used as a ramdisk)
- a 4.4BSD filesystem to use with the ramdisk