Subject: Re: cross compile: the chicken-egg problem
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/17/1998 07:32:36
On 17-Jun-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
# You'll find that you cannot compile shared libraries with this setup, and
# that "strip" may corrupt the binaries.  We don't currently support a full
# cross-compile environment for NetBSD, unfortunately.  That's, informally,
# one of the tasks a handful of the developers are working on.

That doesn't suprise me too much..  I decided to go with only static, because
I figured shared would be a pain..  I didn't know it was impossible though.. ;)

# : we currently build floppy images involved vnode file systems, and I really
# : doubt AIX has this facility.  Is there another way to build a floppy image?
#
# No.  You _must_ have a NetBSD system in order to build NetBSD bootable
# images.  That's why we ship bootstrap floppies... <g>

Ahh..  thats a pity..  I was hoping to be able to do kernel development at
work, and boot my work machines (which have a large variety of unsupported
parts) with test kernels.  I guess that answers my chicken-egg problem.. You
*need* a chicken.  Whats the requirement?  the vnode filesystem?

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html