Subject: building ld.so: we have met the enemy
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/06/1998 16:06:02
About this "problem" building ld.so....

It has its own malloc, but not its own calloc.  And it does call
calloc().

Normally the C library is built with calloc as a separate file,
however, at some point I merged it into a unified malloc.c.  But
naturally, the calloc therein calls the malloc therein.

So, when building ld.so, to resolve calloc the linker pulled in the
whole malloc from the C library.  But this conflicted with the internal
malloc in ld.so.

The situtation was solved by simply giving ld.so its own calloc.

I've pounced catlike onto several problems in my time, and only a _few_
of them turned out to be myself....

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 06-Jun-98