Subject: Re: building ld.so
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/05/1998 14:50:36
On 05-Jun-98 Jason Thorpe wrote:

> For MIPS and Alpha, ld.so is not built from src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld.
> It's build from src/libexec/ld.elf_so, and the installed version is
> called ld.elf_so.

I know, Castor Fu pointed that out for me.

But it doesn't look to me like that one would build, either.  The
unresolved problem is that the -Bsymbolic linker option creates a
link-time conflict -- between the malloc functions in libc_pic.a and
the runtime linker's own internal malloc -- which causes the link to
fail.

At least, that's what happens to me.  The only way I've succeeded is by
causing the link to reference a custom-built libc with no malloc in
it.  I've looked for any kind of monkey wrench I may have thrown into
this works, and haven't found any yet.

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net
Date: 05-Jun-98