Subject: building ld.so
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/03/1998 17:00:35
I'd guess this would be at least the second inquiry on this point.

How does ld.so (the runtime linker, source tree
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld) get built without a conflict between
its built-in malloc functions and those in libc_pic.a?

Trying to build ld.so in isolation, the only way I've succeeded is
to build a special libc_pic.a without malloc functions, and refer to
that locally for the ld.so build!  Otherwise, ld complains about
multiple definitions for the malloc functions and aborts the link.

I gather this has to do with the -Bsymbolic option, which must be
used.  But how is this nifty little conundrum avoided, to build
ld.so for the distributions?!?

I did rebuild the C library previously -- to put an alternative
malloc in it, ironically enough.  It works fine, of course.  But I
didn't tamper with the build procedure for that, and I struggle to
imagine how that could impact this, even if I had....

I'm running 1.2/i386.

Thanks.

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>

E-Mail: jiho@mail.c-zone.net