Subject: Re: a.out dynamic libraries
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/25/1998 15:51:12
On Mon, 25 May 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> I have one better:  use the sticky bit, which currently means nothing on
> plain files (contrary to what the sticky manpage attempts to say).

I think you may be thinking that the sticky manpage is attempting
to say something it isn't. It says

     An executable shareable file whose sticky bit is set will not
     be immediately discarded from swap space after execution.

It simply neglects to mention that the `swap space' for an executable
sharable file is the file itself on disk. That sort of implies that
files without the sticky bit set get the same behaviour, of course, but
the manual page doesn't contradict that at all. :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates