Subject: a.out dynamic libraries
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/24/1998 14:53:32
I've just realized that my understanding of ld.so etc. isn't as complete
as it should be... and need some help before I can check in my new ld.

My sparc is running a system that is built from -current, suped a couple
of days ago. When I built a libc.so with my brand new ld-2.8.1, and copied
it to /usr/lib, most running programs dumped core (Xsun, telnetd etc.)
The new libc seems to be OK, since I don't have any problems at all when
I restart those programs (but I haven't groweled through the whole symbol
table, so I may have missed some mangled symbols...)

My impression was that when a program was running, I could do anything
to the dynamic libraries, without disturbing the running program.
I was obviuosly wrong...

So what kind of things may I do to a library without killing running
programs? (I need to know this so it is possible to do a 'make build'
using the new binutils-2.8.1 toolchain.)

  /Krister