Subject: binutils almost available - testers wanted
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/21/1998 22:46:16
I've committed some bits that should make the binutils suite of programs
(ar, ranlib, nm, size, strings, objdump, objcopy) work on all platforms
including alpha and /maybe/ powerpc.  The strip program is giving me
problems, though, and I'm looking into it.

Though I cannot guarantee any degree of reliability yet (you've been
warned!), I'd like some people out there running -current to test the new
tools by going to src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils and doing the usual
"make obj cleandir depend all install" or similar.

Make sure you have an updated src/gnu tree (sup users, wait 12 hours from
the timestamp of this message) before compiling.  Please report any problems
you have directly to me.  You can report successes too... :)

I'm particularly interested with any warnings or error you get when working
with ar libraries .a files)--such as creating, listing, ranlib'ing, or
linking.  I have taught bfd to handle the "correct" a.out library format on
NetBSD (4.4BSD extended file names), so you should be able to interchange .a
files between the new and old ar(1) programs.