Subject: Re: Host compile rules in
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/16/1998 20:19:06
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: personally, I feel that the target .o's should be renamed (perhaps to
: ".to") and not the local ones. Having local files named ".o" which are
: not for the local architecture violates the rule of least surprise.

The assumption with compiling the NetBSD source tree is that you're making
binaries for a given NetBSD architecture.  I believe that all .o files in,
say, "obj.sparc" (with OBJMACHINE defined) should be for NetBSD/sparc.

Instead, the host objects could be renamed to .lo, only when CROSS_COMPILE
is set, such that they aren't considered destined for the target NetBSD
platform.  Makefile.boot's would be modified to use .lo instead of .o, and
MAkefile.boot's would be created for the other programs needed to compile
the tree (lex, yacc, compile_et, make_cmds, rpcgen).  Best of all, I believe
we should have a toplevel Makefile.boot, but that digresses from this
thread.