Subject: Re: egcs 1.0.2 and netbsd.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/26/1998 05:37:15
   Good.  Running "sh configure" in-tree is Bad, because it breaks
   cross-builds.  I take it that you're using a one-stage build, *not* a
   bootstrap build?

it builds basically the same as gcc currently builds, just from
the egcs sources.

   - haifa is still broken as of 1.0.2 on many platforms.  This shouldn't
     be enabled yet; the legacy gcc scheduler is much more well tested.

is it enabled by default?  how to disable it?

   - libf2c, if g77 is to be included (please do), should not be built shared,
     at least not yet.  There have been some binary incompatibilities
     introduced in earlier versions of g77 that leads me to believe that this
     is best built as only a static library until g77 is more code-stable.

i plan on looking at fortran soon.

   - libiberty should not be installed (it is installed by default in egcs).
     This may be useful to installing GNU stuff, but is more a pain in the
     arse to share with other GNU stuff than it is worth.

i don't use libiberty.

   - we *should* install a specs file by default.  I've griped about this
     in our gcc for a while now.

maybe you can do this after it's in the tree.

   - the directory search mechanisms need some pruning using #ifdef
     CROSS_COMPILE (I'll probably look into doing this) so that some funky path
     like /usr/libexec/2.8.0/NetBSD isn't searched when native, but the
     appropriate cross directories are searched on cross.

uh, .... huh ?

   - f77 man pages.  woo!  (well, it would give us a reason to use man3f :)
     ...this can wait, of course of course.

maybe you can do this, also.. :)

.mrg.