Subject: Re: What to do about gdb mmalloc (two Ms)
To: Gordon W. Ross <>
From: Krister Walfridsson <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/21/1998 21:27:42
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> I've recently tried a GNU-style build of gdb and discovered
> that I had to change gdb/ to turn off the MMALLOC
> support because the mmalloc sources are not there.  So...
> What is the best way to fix this?
> [...]

Why not change to check if/where we have mmalloc (and
possible add usual configure-style options like --mmalloc-src-dir,
--malloc-enable etc.) and let it create a Makefile according to
what it finds out.

That give us:
   (+) would allow normal GNU-style builds
   (+) then we don't need the mmalloc sources
and it doesn't affect those who have mmalloc, so I think it is
   (+) suitable for submission back to the maintainers.

Don't you think the gdb maintainer should accept such a patch?