Subject: Re: binutils
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@intrepid.warped.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/29/1997 10:58:52
On Mon, Dec 29, 1997 at 10:40:06AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
>
> > Our version of gas is too ancient for egcs, so I wonder if there
> > are any plans to get the latest GNU binutils to run on NetBSD?
> >
> > I'm willing to spend some time on such a project (both ld and gas),
> > so I'd like to know if someone already has begun that work, and what
> > are left to be done.
>
> I've heard mention that someone was planning on working on it after the
> 1.3 release (I'll let him speak for himself :-). But if you really want to
> do it, I doubt anyone'll stop you.

I too would love to see binutils updated.  FYI, while egcs fails on the
3rd pass of 'make bootstrap', the first two passes succeed (since they
are made with the native compiler).  I sent the error that happens
on i386 to Jason Thorpe, but I don't know if he's had a chance to look
at a workaround for our gas or not.  Anyhow, the intermediate binaries
produced by 'make bootstrap' do work (mostly), so you can get some of the
egcs functionality (namely, the better optimizer) if that's all you
were looking for.