Subject: Re: Elf on SPARC?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/06/1997 08:08:28
On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:
>
> : P.S.  Anyone consider switching native NetBSD SPARC to elf executables?
>
> Not really; a.out works just fine, and we don't yet have need for elf64 as
> you proposed (there's no real architecture support for 64 bit
> addressing--you'd need an Ultra for that, and we don't support the Ultra
> yet).

There is the elf64 file format and the SPARC v9 ELF ABI.  As far as I can
tell they are distinct in that you can generate a SPARC v8 ABI executable
and encode it in the elf64 file format or generate a 64-bit SPARC v9 ABI
executable and encode it in the elf32 format (assuming PIC code and no
64-bit relocations.)  I'm interested in the former at the moment.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier