Subject: Re: make rules for objective-c
To: None <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/27/1997 21:35:36
>From: Luke Mewburn <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
>Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:46:03 +1100
>
>Whilst investigating a PR, I noticed that we don't have standard
>set of rules for compiling objective C source files (``.m'' suffix)

>I propose that the following changes are made to the tree:
>
>- file: share/mk/sys.mk

While this code looks fine, I don't think it should go into sys.mk.
Unlike the other suffixes in sys.mk, .m does not unambiguously
identify Objective-C files; as a result, users using .m for something
else might get a nasty surprise after they install 1.3.  I would have
no problem with adding the rules to bsd.sys.mk, so that only makefiles
that explicitly use the bsd.*.mk system are affected.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel