Subject: Re: Standard Make defines for X-compiling
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/02/1997 15:58:59
>With so many supported hardware architectures with one unified OS
>interface, it is puzzling why the current in-tree compiler, assembler and
>linker are not easily configured for cross-compilation.  It's not too hard
>to change the build process to do this.

Call me old-fashioned; but I think the right solution is to go back to
an FSF-style header layout, with NetBSD-compatible wrapper Makefiles
and perhaps with the current `arch directories containing symlinks to
files in a ``standard'' GCC config directory, and precanned copies of
everything GNU configure produces.

OpenBSD's web pages claim they do this and make it work.  Have you
looked at what they do?

There's work in progress to somethign similar for binutils-2.8.1 on
NetBSD. It'd be nice if binutils and the obsolete gas and ld already
in our tree had similar config setups, since (AFAIK) binutils doesn't
have support for PK's a.out shared-library extensions, just the uglier
SunOS .so + .sa design.