Subject: Re: gcc g77 and stuff
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@stud.math.ntnu.no>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/22/1997 01:46:08
> >I tryed to compile gcc-2.7.2.2 with g77-0.5.20 on my pmax.
>
> I configured an unmodified bintils-2.8, configured for mips-dec-netbsd
> --prefix=/usr, and typed ``make; make install''.
>
> I'm using the standard NetBSD version of gcc. In the snapshot, that's
> gcc 2.7.2. The NetBSD source tree was updated to 2.7.2.2 yesterday.

In the past I have found that on NetBSD, it's easiest to use the
standard gcc distribution (2.7.2.2) plus g77, and configure with some
other prefix (/usr/local or whatever).  However, for this to work
on current NetBSD/pmax you need to apply the changes to the gcc
configuration files that is in the NetBSD tree (so you get
-mabicalls default, -mhalf-pic default and so on).  It's probably not
easy to extract those changes from the NetBSD tree, which has
lots of diffs for changed directory structure.  Maybe Jonathan could
help?  (It's probably a good idea to separate out those changes anyway
so they can be sent to the gcc developers.)  I could probably do it
but not this month :-(

The other option is to convert g77 to fit into the NetBSD source tree
and directory structure, preferably in a way that makes it work on all
the NetBSD architectures.  This would IMHO be a win, what do other
people think?  Followup on this to tech-toolchain please.

  -  Arne H. J.