Subject: Re: Alpha port of NetBSD to cross compile i386 code
To: None <jenkinsj@ozy.dec.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/04/1997 19:56:24
On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 jenkinsj@ozy.dec.com wrote:

> Quick question if you have the time. I want to use NetBSD Alpha port
> to build NetBSD i386 kernel (the need for speed.........).
>
> Can anyone see any problesm with this apart from haveing to reconfig
> gcc to include i386 capabiility and rebuildiing i386 libs ??

You shouldn't need to do anything with the libs to recompile a
kernel. As a matter of fact, you should be able to use a stock gcc
and binutils, rather than the NetBSD gcc, because you don't need
shared library support to compile a kernel. (I've used the stock
gcc/binutils to successfully compile a sun3 kernel on a sparc
system.)

The only trick will probably be the genassym stuff, which has had
some work done on it recently. Gordon might have something to say
about that...

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.