Subject: Re: list of known working hyper-threading compliant mother boards under netbsd
To: None <tech-smp@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/16/2005 22:50:30
In article <780cb58305031605057c0346ec@mail.gmail.com>,
	okay_awright <okayawright@gmail.com> writes:
> Does yours correctly enumerate the virtual cpu?

Hyper Threading works on my Intel D865PERKL motherboard.

> Are you able to use your hyper threading processor to its full
> extents under netbsd?

NetBSD treats the second virtual CPU like an extra physical CPU. While
that can be be bad on a system with multiple physical CPUs (e.g. a
dual Xeon) system it doesn't matter on a P4 HT system.

I'm not convinced that HT is worth the extra overhead which the necessary
SMP kernel causes. Performance improvements are even often not convincing
on platforms which have better SMP support in the operating system that
NetBSD currently can offer. That's why my HT capable P4 system runs
without HT under NetBSD.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/